1. Start Cleaning Teeth Early
- As soon as the first tooth appears, begin cleaning by wiping with a clean, damp cloth everyday.
- When more teeth come in, switch to a small, soft toothbrush
- Begin using toothpaste with fluoride when your child is 2 years old
- Use toothpaste with fluoride before age 2 if your dental hygienist recommends it.
2. Use The Right Amount of Fluoride Toothpaste
- Use only a small amount of toothpaste (about the size of a pea). Fluoride is important for fighting cavities. If children younger than 6 years old swallow too much fluoride, their permanent teeth may develop white spots.
- Teach your child to spit out the toothpaste and to rinse well after brushing
3. Supervise Brushing
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day until your child has the skill to handle the toothbrush alone.
- Continue to closely watch brushing to make sure your child is doing a good job and
using only a small amount of toothpaste.
Always Remember: Early care for your children’s teeth will protect their smile and their health.
Remember to always follow up with your dental hygienist at the Radiance Dental Hygiene Clinic for regular visits.