1. Start Cleaning Teeth Early
- As soon as the first tooth appears, begin cleaning by wiping with a clean, damp cloth everyday.
- When more teeth come in, switch to a small, soft toothbrush
- Begin using toothpaste with fluoride when your child is 2 years old
- Use toothpaste with fluoride before age 2 if your dental hygienist recommends it.
- Use only a small amount of toothpaste (about the size of a pea). Fluoride is important for fighting cavities. If children younger than 6 years old swallow too much fluoride, their permanent teeth may develop white spots.
- Teach your child to spit out the toothpaste and to rinse well after brushing
- Brush your child’s teeth twice a day until your child has the skill to handle the toothbrush alone.
- Continue to closely watch brushing to make sure your child is doing a good job and using only a small amount of toothpaste.